Job Title: Governance and Capacity Building Project Manager
Reporting to: Programs and Projects Manager
Sector: Governance and Capacity Building
Location: Aden with frequent visits to 5 Target Governorate: Aden, Lahj, Taiz Hadramout and Marib
Project Duration: 20 months
NMO is a registered national NGO with the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor No. 284. Our mission is to take the lead to empower communities in Yemen through humanitarian response and sustainable development programs in a professional way through effective partnerships. NMO started its activity in Yemen since 2012 and has been implementing projects in 5 sectors namely FSL, Education, WASH, Shelter, and Governance and Capacity -building.
The Strengthening Institutional and Economic Resilience in Yemen project (SIERY) is an initiative supported by the European Union (EU) that aims to scale up support to local authorities to maintain and increase equitable access to public services and foster social cohesion and sustainable recovery, with the long-term goal of rebuilding trust in the state and redefining the central – local relationship. The Project takes a two-step approach. Firstly, SIERY will empower district authorities with capacity development, technical support, and discretionary funding to devise and implement, in partnership with communities and local influential actors, recovery plans and to fulfil their missions in a more participatory, inclusive, and accountable, while fostering the emergence of a nation-wide compact for recovering the Yemeni local governance system in a way that can support peace- and state-building. Secondly, SIERY, as a function of an improved local economic development environment by the local authorities. Therefore, this project aims to improve livelihood opportunities through the development of institutional and economic resilience of the responsible and active district local authorities.
Purpose of the job:
The Governance and capacity building Project Manager in Strengthening Institutional and Economic Resilience (SIERY) project is responsible for planning, developing, monitoring, and evaluating the assigned tasks of project activities. She/He will carry out managerial responsibilities of overall project activities throughout the whole implementing period of the project. The Governance and capacity building Project Manager will be responsible of supervising all activities and ensure that the project is on the right track, achieving the planned targets, and indicators and performing all the respective activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
NMO is looking for an efficient and qualified person to fill the position of Governance and Capacity Building Project Manager in Strengthening Institutional and Economic Resilience Project (SIERY) project to carry out the following Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing the implementation strategy and overseeing the processing of tools and materials required for the implementation of activities and tools.
- Responsible for organizing periodic meetings and providing ongoing updates on the progress of implementation.
- Plan the various stages of SEIRY project implementation and set direction by prioritizing and organizing activities and resources to achieve project objectives.
- Supervision of the implementation of the project plans and the team's follow-up to completion
- Coordination and communication:
- Coordinate and communicate along with the relevant local authorities at governorate and district level, and communities within the project framework, ensuring their meaningful participation.
- Communicate and coordinate with donor and stakeholders to facilitate project work.
- Support, facilitate the communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, and stakeholders in all stages of SIERY project design and implementation.
- Project Management:
- Manage project implementation to ensure that project guidelines are observed and respected during project implementation.
- Carry out the timely implementation, quality, and project budget management.
- Prepare and review project plans (procurement - cash - project plans) and create and implement employee support and training plans for each activity.
- Supervise the implementation of the work plan and completion of the activities related to the project as per the work plan.
- Manage the team by holding periodic meetings and keeping track of team vacations.
- Regular updating of the work plan, tracking deliverables, and other relevant documents for effective project management.
- Develop and review the project strategy in coordination with the concerned program and local authorities at the level of governorates, directorates, and target communities.
- Prepare all necessary documents, implement follow-up procedures, draft correspondence related to project implementation and liaise with government counterparts.
- Carry out the project's financial and administrative activities.
- Provide support to the project officer and field coordinator and deal with responsible parties, service providers and other parties.
- MEAL Activity:
- Oversee project monitoring and evaluation activities, ensuring that project indicators and results are achieved at all stages of implementation.
- Ensure that the project is implemented on time, target, and budget, using effective monitoring and evaluation systems to reach the desired effects.
- Ensure that each member of the project team is aware of security issues, policies, SOPs, and they follow them accordingly.
- In cooperation with the relevant Security Officer, monitor the local security situation and inform the Security Officer of developments through regular written reports.
- Contribute to the updating of the security guidelines in the project area of intervention.
- Ensure project records and documents (Flat files, beneficiary list, donation certificates, attendance sheets etc) are adequately prepared, compiled, and filed according to NMO procedures.
- Ensure staff awareness of, and respect of, NMO's code of conduct.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members.
- Prepare the monthly reports for the SIERY Project to the line manager.
- Preparing and drafting all type of reporting for the SIERY projects (quarterly, interim, and final reports), that is required for donors or clusters, and submit these reports to his/her line manager.
- Ensuring that project documents are updated (paper, electronic) periodically
- Manage document/ filing control procedures (both hard copy and soft) for all reports, project narrative and financial documents, knowledge products.
- Facilitate proper monitoring of project inventory, attendance records, filing system.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, management, social science, public administration, or another related field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience in business administration, project management/project implementation, administrative work, or other substantive area.
- Experience in Governance and capacity building project.
- Solid knowledge of practical operational and procurements plans and procedures
- Practical and theoretical knowledge on community mobilization and development in conflict-affected areas.
- Experience in the design and implementation of M&E activities.
Skills and Qualities:
- Strong task management skills including attention to detail to achieve timeliness and required quality.
- Ability to work independently, problem-solving and make decisions skills.
- High skills in coordination, communication, persuasion, and presentation.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Excellent oral and written English skills with ability to draft and edit program reports.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Honest, hardworking, and committed to community development.